Sunday, July 18, 2004

Girls At Our Best - "Fast Boyfriends"

Hailing from the Leeds area, Girls At Our Best had a couple of indie hits in the U.K. in 1980, and couple more in 1981 including "Fast Boyfriends" (Happy Birthday Records). They released the "Pleasure" album containing a free "Pleasure" bag then broke up in 1982. Singer Judy Evans, the only girl in the band, has a distinctive trill that may take some getting used to but is worth the effort. D. Carl Harper played Drums, Gerard Swift, Bass and James Alan, who went on to play Psycho-rockabilly with Tall Boys, played Guitar. Thomas Dolby is credited with playing synthesiser and Flood was in the studio as the engineer. This is another "Lost Band" that was rediscovered in 1994 when Vinyl Japan rereleased "Pleasure" on CD which quickly went out of print but if you must have it(!) get it at GEMM.

Girls At Our Best - "Fast Boyfriends"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee - nice to see some other people appreciative of GAOB!
My other half and I run a club night in North London called The Penelope Tree, where the likes of GAOB and Delta 5, are very much the order of the day.
I tend to play music I loved - and still love - from 'my day' - as above, and more obscure - Artery, A Sudden Sway, Durutti Column - whereas my gf plays more current stuff.
I think the website is down at present, but we are on this Sunday, 24th July at BARTOK, Chalk Farm Road, 8-12, free entry.
Will come back and look here again, I think!!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great band. As a journalist I used to plug them in Dutch rock mag OOR. Also booked them into the club I worked in as a co-programmer (the LVC in Leiden, near The Hague). After their second single (Politics), when in London for an interview round-up of indie bands, I went up to Leeds by train to talk to GAOB. They took me to Judy's parents' house first, where her mum gave us a stack of sandwiches to take along. Oh, sweet memories.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home