Thursday, October 28, 2004

More Obscure Than Obscure - Still More Halloween Music

This site was inspired by a New Wave message board posting entitle "More Obscure Than Obscure". I was going to use that as the title to this blog but what's obscure to one person is common to another. I think it would be tough to argue that San Francisco's kookie all-girl-band Inflatable Boy Clams are more obscure than obscure. They released a double 7" containing 5 songs on Subterranean Records in 1981. That's it. They got a lot of airplay around Halloween, particularly from Rodney Bingenheimer on KROQ in L.A. The record was produced by Voice Farm's Myke Reilly. The band was Carol Detweiler - bass, drums, organ, vocals, JoJo Planteen - bass, vocals, Judy Gittelsohn - organ, slide guitar, bass, vocals and Genvieve Boutet de Monvel - sax. You can read more about them at this tribute site which is were I got this information from.

Go to the download page to get Inflatable Boy Clams- "Skeletons" mp3 here

5 Comments:

Blogger Brooks said...

I'm cornfused and a little stupid. Thanks for making this post and sorry for my stupid email. I hope the readers enjoyed hearing Skeletons as much as I loved putting the site together for this band.
Brooks BlogInflatable Boy Clams

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see the IBC on here.
Any curious new fans should seek out the equally astounding pre-Clams band PINK SECTION.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

carol detweiler is my mom and judy gittelsohn is a really good family friend.

i'm soooooo happy that this band is known and hasn't disappeared off the face of the earth.

because they were truly awesome.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been dying to find the Skeleton song for years and finally my husband found it,thanks to this site!! What great memories for me...and just in time for our Halloween party!

3:01 AM  
Anonymous das said...

at the time it was called NO-WAVE, and included west coast bands like suburban lawns, human hands, tuxedomoon.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home