Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Individuals

The IndividualsNew York/New Jersey's The Individuals along with The Feelies and The Bongos were credited with originating the "Hoboken Sound". They released one EP, "Aquamarine" (Infidelity, 1981) and an LP "Fields" (Plexus, 1982) that were both produced by Gene Holder of the dB's. The Individuals broke up in 1983 but Glenn Morrow (guitars /sax/ keyboard/vocals) formed Rage to Live and then co-founded indie label Bar/None. Siblings Janet Wygal (bass / keyboards /guitar/ vocals) and Doug Wygal (drums/ percussion) formed the Wygals and Jon Light Klages (lead guitar /keyboards /vocals) went on to play solo and with Richard Lloyd (Television) and Russ Tolman and Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate). Thanks to Glenn Morrow for allowing me to post his music.

Visit Bar/None Records and ask them to release The Individuals on CD.

Go to the download page to get The Individuals - "Dancing w/ My Eighty Wives"

10 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey Siegel said...

Oh Yeah - mining the New York Rocker territory now! Chris Spedding rules!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

based on yer review, sounds like my speed

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one! Hey...are you going to either of the dB's shows @ Maxwell's? If you are at the Monday night show, a frosty beer is on me.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Great blog. Just discovered it.

AC

11:20 AM  
Blogger a said...

nice blog. cool bands.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting side note...Jon Klages' band post-Individuals featured Ira Kaplan and Georgia Hubley (before they left to form Yo La Tengo) and Dave Schramm (guitarist extraordinaire with early YLT and then the Schramms)as well as David Bither (now a Sr. VP at Nonesuch Records). Doug Wygal also rejoined Klages after Ira and Georgia left...

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for mention of the individuals on the web for sometime now. I remember the song "I walk by your house"

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw them open up for X some time around 1982 or 1983 in Raleigh, North Carolina. It was a great show. They returned to the same club a short time later and headlined. I believe Janet Wygal's sister(?) may have been in the line up at the second show, playing keyboards but my memory is a bit hazy on that point. "My Three Sons Revolve Around the Earth" and "Leap of Faith" were two of my favorites from the LP.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was in 1982 that my friends and I brought a 3/4" video tape deck and two cameras to Maxwell's in Hoboken to tape Dancin with my 80 Wives. I came out of the Videofreex, Lanesville school of video. We gave the edit to Glen so there is a "semi pro tape of this song somewhere". My friends Frank Bill and Joe loved the bar and back room at Maxwells. We LOVED
the Indivduals..
Lisa

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

POGO one Ridgewood, Queens NY
new wave of the early 80s ...one of my fav songs

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home