Monday, February 21, 2005

The Cretones

The Cretones released two great, chimming, power pop records in the early 80's on Richard Perry's Planet records. They were filled with so many great songs that I couldn't decide which one I would post so I created the Cretones "Love Mix". I mixed three great songs from their debut album "Thin Red Line" with love in the titles - "Real Love", "Mad Love" and "Cost of Love". Too late for Valentine's Day but it's still February. Those not familiar with the Cretones' versions of the last two songs may have heard them on Linda Rondstadt's "Mad Love" album. She recorded those two Mark Goldenberg compositions plus "Justine" on her attempt at New Wave. Mark also contributed guitars and backing vocals to her album and fellow band member and Cretones producer Peter Bernstein got a credit for acoustic guitars on one track and a special thanks.

The Cretones were Mark Goldenberg guitars, vocals, Peter Bernstein - bass, vocals; Steve Beers - drums and Steve Leonard - keyboards, vocals. According to Mark the Cretones never officially broke up.

Special thanks to Mark Goldenberg for allowing me to post and mess with his music. Mark has been lead guitarist for Jackson Browne since 1994 and also has played for Bonnie Raitt, Eels, Chris Isaak, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Peter Frampton and even William Shatner. He's written several hit songs including "Automatic" for the Pointer Sisters and "Novocaine For the Soul" with Mark Oliver Everett of the Eels. Visit Mark's site here and buy his latest CD.

Go to the download page to get The Cretones - "Love Mix"


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cretones! Nice choice and sweet mix...good to hear this stuff again!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was certainly aware of The Cretones back in the day. Even the punk rawk Posh Boy label had its new wave contenders in the shape of Gleaming Spires and their hit "Are You Ready For The Sex Girls".

But 20 years on and I finally work it out ...

Behind the better known Mark Goldenberg, there were Peter Bernstein and Steve Beers both of whom just a few years later worked on Cannell's 21 Jump Street.

Bernstein was the in house composer coming up with underscore and occasional generic source music. Beers was one of the supervising producers.

Now what is interesting is that now the DVDs of Jump Street are being released most of the original licensed source music is being removed and replaced by generic music that I have a feeling has some connection to the Cretones ... or at a minimum, the Cretones minus Goldenberg.

Any comments?

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twenty years later, I still have "Swinging Divorcee' " running through my brain on occassion. Recently thought of the Cretones when I was trying to figure out where Fountains of Wayne got their sound for "Stacy's Mom". Clearly the lineage is there.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda Ronstadt was a champion of the Cretones talent, and did 3, count em 3 Cretones covers on her bow to Skinny Tie New Wave : "Mad Love." I really love that Cretone album Thin Red Line. Amazing bass playing, keyboarding amd vocals.
Long Live the Cretones!!!

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Beers used to be my next door neighbor in Hollywood. Used to go see them in clubs in LA & saw them in Denver after I left California. After the concert, Steve & I were driving back to his hotel when The Ronstadt cover "Mad Love" came on the radio. He said "Well there is another 6 cents in royalties." I was sitting at the table with Linda Ronstadt when she saw them live for the first time. Still have the 2 albums.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Cretones. Why can't I get their music on ITUNES? Cathy, Brian and I were groupies. We knew all of the words to all of their songs and never got tired of listening to and watching them.
Help!

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie, Cathy and Brian? OMG, Mike's Munchies? Hope you all are well! Regards from Steve2 (keyboards)

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Rick Halm said...

Take me back to 1980- what a year- I lived in Ann Arbor and had the Cretones on the platter all the time. Found their old "Thin Red Line" LP and converted it to MP3. Rock on Mrs. Peel!

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

download page?...just a list no links.....am I doin' it rwong?

10:59 AM  
Blogger savageYHS said...

"MARK SAFFON AND THE KEEPERS" ring a bell for anyone? Another great 1980 album. Anyone know where I might dl it? Thanks!

9:48 PM  
Blogger musicman said...

You can find both albums at my blog:
http://obscure-music.blogspot.com/

8:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I knew some of the Keepers. I would love to hear Skeletons Dancing--thanks for posting music from a truly under rated transition in US music.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Miguel said...

Ever heard of a Hollywood / LA power pop band called the Bottles? They had 1 album

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home